Vanguard Way (Colin Saunders)
miles from the suburbs to the sea
the perfect route for walkers !
right, this is the opinion of members of the Vanguards
Rambling Club, who created both the route and this
yes, we would say that, but this is why we think
66 miles (107 km) the Vanguard Way is not too short
and not too long, so is easily covered in a week
or less, or over a few weekends.
a designated National Park (South Downs);
two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Surrey
Hills, High Weald);
a heritage coast (Sussex Coast);
three scheduled sites of national or regional interest
(Nore Hill Chalk Pinnacle, Haxted Mill and Dry Hill
Camp) and many other points of interest.
There are great views throughout the route, including
two of the best in Britain: the Cuckmere Meanders
and the Seven Sisters.
Nearly all the route is on public rights of way,
and goes mostly through open countryside and woodland.
The route is well served by public transport, so
you can easily walk it on day trips from London.
You'll learn something new every day.
When you complete the route you qualify for a free
certificate, and you can commemorate your achievement
with a badge.
there's a FREE GUIDE & MAPS describing the route
from North to South and from South to North! New
(5th) editions of the north to south route guides,
introduction to the route, and companion are now
available to download.
(from North to South) :
01. Croydon - Chelsham Common (11,0 km) (6,8 miles)
02. Chelsham Common - Limpsfield Chart (12,7 km)
03. Limpsfield Chart - Haxted Mill (8,1 km) (5,0
04. Haxted Mill - Forest Row (13,4 km) (8,3 miles)
05. Forest Row - Poundgate (11,3 km) (7,0 miles)
06. Poundgate - Blackboys (11,0 km) (6,8 miles)
07. Blackboys - Golden Cross (12,2 km) (7,6 miles)
08. Golden Cross - Berwick Station (6,6 km) (4,2
09. Berwick Station - Exceat Bridge (10,5 km) (6,5
10. Exceat Bridge - Newhaven (9,7 km) (6,0
at wanadoo.fr - 01/05/2015