: arrival (Rabe)
1. gîte privé Acuario
2. gare de bus
3. gîte Seminario Menor
4. Musée d'Art Populaire de Galice
5. Musée d'Art Contemporain
6. Puerta del Camino
7. Musée du Chemin du Pèlerinage
8. couvent San Martín Pinario
9. couvent San Paio de Antealtares
10. cathédrale / praza do Ovradoiro
11. Hospital de los Reyes Católicos
12. Pazo de Raxoi / Parlement galicien / mairie
13. colegio de San Jerónimo
14. bureau des pèlerins
15. Office du Tourisme
16. (Poste Centrale)
17. Poste Centrale
19. gare ferroviaire
Monte do Gozo and the route goes slightly downhill
(second entrance to the hostel on the left) and
crosses the Santiago ring road, the motorway and
the railway track. After the round about you keep
on the left hand side of the Avda. do Camiño
Francés. Past the Palacio de Congresos (on the
right hand side of the road, the Museo Pedagógico
and behind that the Residencia de Peregrinos
San Lazaro, you come into Rúa do Valiño; Alb. Santo Santiago on the right, left down
the steps to the private hostel of Acuario (1), on the
ground floor of the large apartment block).
Camino goes straight through Rúa das Fontinas,
the Fonte dos Concheiros, crosses Avda. de Lugo,
comes through Rúa dos Concheiros into Rúa
de San Pedro and arrives via the Porta do
Camiño into the old town (to the right through
Rúa de Entremuros to the PH O Fogar de Teodomiro).
Now it goes through Rúa Casas Reais, Rúa
das Animas, across the Praza de Cervantes
into Rúa da Acibecheria and continues across
the Praza da Inmaculada onto the Praza
do Obradoiro to the Cathedral of Santiago de
Compostela (1 1/4 hr.).
de Compostela, the destination of the Way of St.
James, is, next to Rome and Jerusalem, the third
large place of pilgrimage and one of the most signiftcant
destinations for pi/grims in Christendom. Created
by and for the cult of St. James, the town is today
an architectural and cultural synthe sis of artistic
styles - but in no way an open-air museum, far more
a very vital and modern university town. The old
town appears as if built from one huge mass ofbright-coloured
the Rúa dos Concheiros, its name derived
from the St. James shell sellers (concheiros) who
used to sell the St. James shells here, and the
Rúa de San Pedro pilgrims arrived at the entrance
to the historical old town, the Porta do Camiño
until 1835 the location of one of the seven town
gates. Past the Igrexia de Santa Maria do Camiño
(18th century) you reach the Praza de Cervantes,
with a statue of the Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes.
Continue along Rúa da Acibechería (azabache,
in English, jet, shiny black semi-precious stone,
a typical souvenir from Santiago). The street opens
out onto the Praza da Inmaculada which is closed
off on the right by the huge building of the Benedictine
monastery of San Martin Pinario (8) (founded
shortly after the discovery of the apostle's tomb
in the 9th century, today's building 16th-18th century).
To the left stands the north façade of the cathedral,
next to it the archbishop 's palace Pazo de Xelmirez
(12th/ 13th century). Bishop Diego Xelmirez (in
Spanish Gelmirez, 1099-1140 Bishop of Santiago de
Compostela) was the most important religious-political
figure in the early years of the St. James cult.
this the Praza do Obradoiro opens up in front
of the cathedral. It is dominated by the monumental
Baroque west façade of the Catedral de Santiago
de Compostela (10).
the façade lies the Portico de la Gloria carved
between 1166 and 1188 by the inspired genius of
Maestro Mateo. The central elements of the rich
decoration with ftgures is the middle pillar with
the statue of St. James, with Christ the Redeemer
above and surrounded by the four evangelists. The
base of the column shows signs of wear from
millions of pilgrims' hands. Touching the column
has since been forbidden.
the left of the middle pillar stand the prophets
of Jeremia, Jesaja, Moses and Daniel on a column,
the latter with an enchanted smile on his face.
According to many he was delighted with the bare-bosomed
that had been carved by the hand of an expert on
the opposite side. The church leaders ordered to
be f1attened the breasts that were causing unseemly
speculations. The farmers, so it is said, made a
protest of their own: they made a cheese in the
shape of the Corpus delicti and called it Tetilla
kneeling ftgure facing the altar is said to be master
Mateo who, allegedly, was destined never to
be allowed to see his work. He 's also called Santo
dos Croques, the saint of the clout on the head,
since you can receive a share of his genius by touching
his head three times with your forehead (access
is no longerallowed).
Botafumeiro, the silver-plated censer weighing
roughly 60 kg (100 kg full) and 160 cm high, is
only used in certain circumstances, otherwise it
is kept in the library.It was once used to make
more bearable the strong body odour of pilgrims.
Todayit is a popular spectacle when, hanging from
the 35m long rope, it is swung through the transept.
It has twice overshot and ended up outside the church.
97m long church interior is dominated by
the lavishly carved altar with the Smiling
Daniel. gold, silver and jewel encrusted St.
James. Not until the steps behind the altar
are climbed and the apostle embraced, is the pilgrim
journey at an end. The
alleged bones of the Saint lie supposedly in the
crypt below the altar.
June-Sept. Mon.-Sat. 10.00-14.00 and 16.00-20.00,
Sun./public holidays 10.00-
Oct.-May only until 13.30 and 18.30, 5 € .
hour guided tours in Spanish/English across
the roofs of the cathedral, daily 10.00-14.00 and
16.00-20.00 (on the hour) after booking: tel: 981
552 985, fax: 981 554 403, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 €; pilgrims with compostela, people over 65,
students and groups: 8 €.
the left of the cothedral stands the Hospital
de los Reyes Católicos (11). The pilgrim hostel founded
in 1489 by King Fernando and Queen Isabella is today
a Parador Nacional (state-run luxury hotel) and
reputedly the oldest hotel in the world only with.
There is still the tradition of inviting the first
ten pilgrims to breokfast (9.00), lunch (12.00)
and evening meol (19.00). For this you hove to arrive
at the allotted times at the garage door on the
left below the main entrance and present the original
or a copy of the compostela (up to 3 days after
square is dosed off to the west by the Pazo de
Raxoi (12) (1777), town hall and seat of parliament
for the autonomous administration, to the south
by the Colegio de San Jerónimo (13) (17th century), once
a school for children of destitute parents, today
an institute for Galician studies.
of the cathedral lie the Praza de Platerias
in front of the similarly named, oldest preserved
portal of the cathedral and the Praza de Quintana
ontowhich the Porta Santa (17th century,
adorned with sculptures from the 12th century) opens
out during Holy Years.
Cathedrals museum: June-Sept. Mon.-Sat. 10.00-14.00
and 16.00-20.00, Sun./public holidays 10.00-
Oct.-May only until 13.30 and 18.30, 5 € .
Museo das Peregrinaciones, history of the PilgrimWay.
Rua de San Miguel, Tue.-Fri. 10.00-20.00, Sat. 10.30-13.30
and 17.00-20.00, Sun. 10.30-13.30,2.40 € (Sat. 17.00-20.00
and Sun. free).
Museo do Pobo Galego, museum of Galician folklore,
San Domingo de Bonaval, Tue.-Sat. 10.00-14.00 and
16.00-20.00, Sun./public holidays Il.00-14.00,3
Centro Galego de Arte Contemporémeo, museum for
contemporary art, c/ Valle Indém, Tue.-Sun. Il.00-20.00,
ln January 2011 in front of the city gates the inauguration
took place of the most recent city project, the
Cidade da Cultura de Galicia cultural centre designed
by the American architect Peter Eisenman, (www.cidadedacultura.org).
incense burner should be available to see:
Jan., Easter Sunday, Ascension Day. 23rd May. Whitsun,
15th Aug. (Feast of the Assumption), 1st Noy. (All
Saints), 8th Dec. (Feast of the Immaculate Conception),
25th. und 30th Dec.
Ascension Day (Fiestas de la Ascension), processions,
catlle market and Pulpo a la Feira. 2nd half of
July Santiago Apóstol, big celebration in honour
of St. James, amongst other things, spectacular firework
display above the cathedral.
pilgrims often enjoy a mariscada (fish and seafood
platter) and finish off with a sweet dessert, a
Santiago (almond cake).
de Turismo, Rua do Vilar, 63, tel: 981 555 129.
Mon.-Fri. 9.00-19.00, Sat./Sun. 9.00-14.00 and 16.00-
Easter, summer daily 9.00-21.00. www.santiagoturismo.com.
at wanadoo.fr - 01/01/2015